The One-Year Jewish Studies Program has a requirement of 60 ECTS and is organized in two modules: Mandatory and Elective. The Mandatory module consists of the Israel excursion, independent study, individual project work, presentations, and workshops for a total of 25 ECTS.
The Elective module consists of one and two-week courses that run chronologically from Torah and Midrash, through Medieval Jewish Philosophy and Responsa Literature to Modern Jewish Philosophy and Literature. Students must complete a minimum of 35 ECTS credits from these electives.
The program starts in mid-August and finishes at the end of March. Studies are conducted five days a week, seven hours a day. The language of instruction is English.
In the 2021/2022 academic year the following courses are included in the Program:
1. Modern Hebrew- read more
2. Methodology of Talmud – read more
3. Parashat Hashavua – read more
Visiting scholar courses
The Elective module consists of one and two-week Visiting Scholar courses. Students must complete a minimum of 35 ECTS credits from these electives.
1. Studying the Hebrew Bible – read more
2. Midrash and Aggada: Texts on Rabbinic Judaism – read more
3. The Medieval and Early Modern Jewish Culture – read more
4. Perspectives on the Jewish Calendar – read more
5. Gender and sexuality in Jewish History – read more
6. Introduction to Jewish-Christian Relations: From Sour Grapes to Sacrament – read more
7. Introduction to Talmud – read more
8. The transformation of Jewish Culture and Society in the Medieval Islamic World – read more
9. Harry C. Sigman Course in Jewish Law: From the Bible to the State of Israel – read more
10. Kabbalah and Its Place in Late Medieval and Early Modern Jewish Culture – read more
11. Introduction to Jewish Medieval Philosophy – read more
12. Introduction to Hasidism – read more
13. The Jewish Enlightenment – read more
14. Burton Kaplan Course in Modern Jewish Philosophy – read more
15. Modern Hebrew Literature – read more
The Israel study trip
A study trip to Israel is included in the program. The trip takes place at the beginning of January and is mandatory in the Program.